2012년 11월 24일 토요일

Master your enemy. Master yourself.



           In a movie, “Transformers,” two sides of robots appear. Autobots and Decepticons are basically one type of species but fight due to different points of view. Like the movie “Transformers,” in most stories, there are conflicts between one and one’s enemy. In my life, there has been an enemy as well.
           Since the beginning of my life, I have played tug of war with myself. Sometimes it was the war between my honest self and my deceptive self, or between my kind self and my evil self. I cannot say that the good side always achieved victory. When I was 12 years old, I had a bad habit of playing game every day after school. Since I was just a young kid, I did not have enough money to play game for a long time. As I was ignorant at the time, I placed my pleasure on top of other values. As I felt the destitution of coins, I lied to my parents that I needed to buy school supplies in order to get money. Clearly, my lie could not stay safe from the eyes of my parents for a long time and I soon got caught. Then I had to stop playing game for good. As I grew up and thought about my past, I learned that what I had done was really dumb. From the wars between me and myself, I have realized that my life will always be full of conflicts between me and myself. The matter of which side is going to win does not matter to me. I believe that from the endless tug of war, I will be able to learn a lesson in life and make my standards and ways of living.
           In many stories, one side achieves victory and the lost one falls. However, in life, I believe the result does not necessarily have to be the lost one’s demise and the victorious one’s glory. Rather, the result can be more complementary. Everyone has his or her strength and weakness. From the competitions, people can learn their strong points and shortcomings. After realization, people can develop their merits even more and make up for their flaws. When I was in middle school, I suggested my friend to compete against each other’s test scores. Maybe it was the competition that made us to study much harder than usual. We both studied hard and made good results. However, I was weak at social studies and my friend was weak at science. We both found out what we were weak at and after the test, we helped each other to get better at what we were bad at. Like this, in reality, people do not always get divided as winners and losers. Rather, they can help each other.
           To sum up, there has been an enemy in my life who I will never get away from. The conflicts between me and myself, I believe, will lead me to my brighter future. Moreover, the competition is helpful for people. Unlike expectations, conflicts between people can lead them to acknowledgement of their strengths and weaknesses, leading them to become better people.

댓글 1개:

  1. Nice reasoning. Your tone and opinion sound really honest, because you aren't being overly optimistic or ideal, emphasizing the improvement that comes from simply deliberating over an action. Honesty instead of fluffy idealism is always a welcome and unique thing in a college essay.

    As for grammar, make sure you stop doing this:

    "When I was 12 years old, I had a bad habit of playing game every day after school. Since I was just a young kid, I did not have enough money to play game for a long time."

    GAME! Game is not game! "a game" or "games" is what you should say. Also concision. Don't repeat nouns too often, and make your sentences longer by combining them - thus reducing unnecessary words. The above two could easily be one.

    답글삭제